The following items are prohibited from importation, meaning they won't be allowed to enter the destination country, territory or region.
To check which items are considered dangerous and prohibited for sending from Australia, download our dangerous goods guide (1.2MB).
- Alcoholic beverages
- Arms and ammunition
- Bullion and currency
- Cigarette paper
- Cinematographic films, celluloid
- Clothes and stockings, used
- Corn oil
- Cotton and cotton seeds
- Dangerous goods, haz or comb materials
- Dietary supplements for athletes
- Electrical machinery
- Fats and oils
- Firearms/paraphernalia, imitation
- Flowers and cuttings
- Grain samples
- Gambling devices
- Jewellery, costume
- Military clothing
- Mineral products
- Money orders
- Organic chemicals
- Plastics and articles thereof
- Pharmaceutical products
- Pork products
- Precious stones and metals
- Psychotropic substances
- Publications, obscene
- Religion publications/figures
- War material and the like
- Weapons, military
- Wood and wood products
Lithium batteries and devices containing them are prohibited from being sent via International Express.
If an item is subject to import restrictions, it means that provisions must be met before it will be released from customs in the destination country, territory or region.
We recommend you confirm import restrictions with local authorities before posting:
- Alcohol and spirits
- Animal products
- Bunker oil sample (for analysis)
- Chemicals, non-hazardous
- Coal and firewood
- Cologne and perfume
- Communications equipment
- Compact disc
- Computer components and parts
- Computer software
- Cinematographic films, celluloid
- Drugs: non-prescription and prescription
- Electronic equipment
- Films: Promotional and training
- Fire extinguishers
- Industrial equipment
- Laser disc
- Liquids, non-hazardous
- Medical/dental supplies and equipment
- Microfiche and microfilm
- Military equipment
- Oil products
- Plants and plant products
- Radar equip. -transmitters and receivers
- Radios and parts there of
- Soil samples
- Sports equipment
- Stone/mineral samples for analysis
- Sub. cont’g sodium/calc. cyclamate
- Telecomunications equipment
- Televisions, television equipment
- Textile articles
- Vegetable products
EDN’s and export permits are required for:
- Kangaroo skins
- Crocodile skins
- Emu oil
- Fish oil
- Bunker oil
- Petroleum-based products
- Tobacco and tobacco products
- Any other alcohol including beer and spirits all volumes
Okay to send? Send responsibly.
As the sender, it's your responsibility to make sure your items don't break any laws or rules – both within Australia and in the destination country.
Restrictions and conditions can change at short notice so the information on this page should be used as a guide only. For the latest information, you should check the UPU prohibitions & restrictions (PDF 7.2MB) or contact the destination country's customs, postal trade or government authority.
It's also your responsibility to check if the destination country imposes any duties, taxes, brokerage fees or any other fees on the item you're sending. If you're unsure, please contact the consulate office of the destination country.
In addition to our customs forms, authorities in the destination country, territory or region require further documentation for some items.
All commercial goods require a Certificate of Origin. An invoice is not required if the item has a value less than 250 Syrian Pounds, or if the item is of a non-commercial nature.
The sender and receiver details must be addressed with a valid street address in English. A Post Office Box address is not acceptable.
The sender is responsible for finding if the destination country may impose duties, taxes, brokerage fees or any other fees that may be applied on the item that is being sent. Please contact the consulate office of the country you are sending to or contact the Australia Post Customer Contact Centre on 13 76 78.
Delivery locations & exclusions
Before sending to this destination, it’s worth noting a few more details about our international delivery services.
Delivery locations & exclusions data (Personal)
- International Express (carried via the EMS network) - Parcels deliver only to the places shown
- Abo Kamal
- Al Hasakah
- Der Ezzor
International Express - Parcels does not deliver to a Post Office Box or Poste Restante.
- International Express - Letters service available on a non-guaranteed basis
For more information from the overseas carrier, check the Syrian Arab Republic Post Office website.