Postage meters are mechanical devices that prints an ‘indicium’ (markings that show postage has been paid) on your mail items.
Meters are programmed with various postage rates, depending on the type of mail you’re sending. You pay for postage online, download the credit to your postage meter and top up as you need, at any time of day.
Postage meters let you:
Reset remotely: top up your credit anytime, anywhere
Prepare articles quickly and easily: avoid the need to pre-print 'postage paid' envelopes or stock postage stamps and priority labels
Control costs: track your postage expenditure by generating detailed usage reports
Print logos/advertising: most postage meters let you print a personalised advertising message, logo, seasonal greeting or return address.
Secure access: most postage meters are password protected, giving you security and peace of mind
Save on credit: get a 2.5% rebate on credit when you reset, meaning for $1,000 worth of credit you only pay $975
Pay with your Australia Post Credit (Charge) Account: Charge your postage meter resets directly to your account, for quick and easy credit top up
Access metered rate: you may get a moderate discount for domestic articles paid for by using a postage meter
The following table details the postal services you can access using a postage meter.
Postage meters provide access to the domestic Regular and Priority delivery timetables through the relevant services where applicable.
Where to buy or lease postage meters
You can buy or lease an Australia Post approved meter from these postage meter suppliers:
- Francotyp Postalia (FP Mail Pty Ltd)
- Neopost Australia (GBC/Fordigraph Pty Ltd)
- Pitney Bowes Australia Pty Ltd
- Swiss Mail Handling Pty Ltd (gocopy)
These suppliers provide meters that meet our postage meter standards. They can all be reset by modem, print a unique postage impression, track expenditure and calculate postage.
Postage meter guides and forms
- Postage meter application form (940kb)
- Postage meter conditions of use (884kb)
- Postage meter change of address notification (56kb)
- Postage meter lodgement form (112kb)
- Postage meter flat rate satchels and Express Post letters fact sheet (272kb)
- Postage meter - preparing your articles with correct metered marks (156kb)
If you have any questions about postage meters, call our Postage meter section on 1300 823 789 or contact us.