Work out the campaign objectives, target audience, response channels, budget and timing.
Outline what you want to achieve from your campaign, for example to:
- increase sales or create brand awareness
- promote special offers or supply information
- acquire new customers or win back old customers
To define your target market, work out the following:
- Do you want to target existing customers?
- Do you need to include/exclude any particular groups from your campaign?
- What customer demographic and behaviours would be most attractive to your business?
- Do you need to buy or rent a mailing address list to acquire new customers? You can purchase or hire a list from a list broker. Search online for a local list broker.
- If you don’t have a mailing list, you can use Campaign Targeter to find potential new customers with Unaddressed Mail or Acquisition Mail.
Define why, when and how your target audience should respond to your mailing. Make it easy for them to respond through multiple channels: phone, email, mail, online, etc. Ensure that you have the resources to handle the anticipated volume of responses.
Your budget will depend on a number of factors such as:
- The number of people you want to reach. Campaign Targeter can help you determine the size of your Unaddressed or Acquisition Mail campaign at the planning stage
- Whether you need to buy address lists or plan to use your own customer address data
- Whether you are outsourcing your campaign to a mail house or doing it yourself
- Production and creative costs
- Postage costs
Figure out the best time for you to launch your campaign. Also decide whether you should mail everyone at the same time, or stagger the mailouts to lighten the potential load on your business.