Work out the campaign objectives, segment and target, response channels, budget, and timing.
Outline what you want to achieve from your campaign, for example to:
- increase sales or create brand awareness
- promote special offers or supply information
- acquire new customers or win back old customers
Segment and target
To define your target market, work out the following:
- Do you want to target existing customers?
- Do you need to include/exclude any particular groups from your campaign?
- What customer demographic and behaviours would be most attractive to your business?
- Do you need to buy address lists to acquire new customers? Address lists contain mailing addresses of your target customers. These can either be captured by your own systems or by contacting one of our partners listed below.
We also provide comprehensive address lists which are ideal for large-scale campaigns.
Define why, when and how your target audience should respond to your mailing. Make it easy for them to respond through multiple channels: phone, email, mail, online, etc. Ensure that you have the resources to handle the anticipated volume of responses.
Your budget will depend on a number of factors such as:
- The number of people you want to reach
- Whether you need to buy address lists or plan to use your own customer address data
- Whether you are outsourcing your campaign to a print shop or mail house or doing it yourself
- Postage costs
You may find it a little tricky at first and have to resort to guesses, but you'll learn more and become more accurate with each campaign.
Figure out the best time for you to launch your campaign. Also decide whether you should mail everyone at the same time, or stagger the mailouts to lighten the potential load on your business.