What is a non-represented party?

A non-represented party is a person who isn’t represented by a qualified legal practitioner or a licensed conveyancer in the following common scenarios:

  • when a house or vacant land is being sold or purchased
  • when an owner passes away
  • if they have lost the duplicate title

When will you need to have an identity check?

To reduce the risk of fraud, you’re required to verify your identity as a buyer or seller and your authority to buy or sell the nominated land or property, or when you are required to sign any other Registry Instrument to be lodged in Land Use Victoria. Please visit the Land Use Victoria website as the starting point for guides and documents applicable to non-represented parties.

How can Australia Post help?

To complete your own Land Use Victoria transfer or other registry instrument, head into a participating Australia Post express service outlet where we will:

  • verify your identity
  • take your photo (at no additional cost)
  • witness your signature 
  • witness your Land Registry Transaction document – also commonly referred to as a Registry Instrument
  • organise secure, electronic delivery of your information to Land Use Victoria

How to present your application at Australia Post ID check express service outlets

  1. Ensure you have the right identity documents for the highest level category.
  2. Download the Land Use Victoria non-represented party Land Title form (PDF 1.95MB). Do not complete Section D in advance or sign your Land Registry Transaction document/Registry Instrument. Your signature needs to be verified by an Australia Post Identity Verifier.
  3. Present your application at any participating Australia Post Land Title ID Check express services outlet. Find your closest participating express service outlet or call 13 POST (13 76 78).
  4. Bring your Land Use Victoria Land Registry Transaction document/Registry Instrument or other documents with you to present in-store. The documents will be witnessed by Australia Post when this form is lodged.
  5. Your photo will be taken by Australia Post. Copies of your identity documents, Land Use Victoria Land Registry Transaction document/Registry Instrument and photo will be certified as true copies and forwarded to Land Use Victoria.
  6. The verification of identity service fee is $49 and payable to Australia Post. Fees can be paid by cash, EFTPOS, Visa or MasterCard. Cheques are not accepted.

Acceptable identity documents

You must produce two original and current Category 1 documents (except for an expired Australian passport which has not been cancelled and was current in the preceding two years).

If you cannot satisfy Category 1 requirements, you must produce documents from the next highest possible category.

All your chosen identity documents must have matching personal information. If you’ve changed your name from that on an identity document, you’ll also need to provide a change of name document.

A NAATI translation is required for any passport, driver license or birth certificate that isn’t in English.

1 Must be a plastic Medicare card to be accepted.

2 Must be issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. Documents issued by a celebrant will not be accepted.