Changes to our National Police Check service

Australia Post is now supporting National Police Check applications via the Queensland Police Service and Western Australia Police Force.

These State Police agencies use the Australia Post platform and Post Office network to facilitate their National Police Check service.

Please note, applications for the Australia Post National Police Check started online prior to 1 October 2023 must be completed within 28 days.

For further information, please read our FAQs  below.

National Police Check

You can apply online for a National Police Check through the Queensland Police Service or Western Australia Police Force from anywhere within Australia. 

How to apply

Queensland Police logo

Queensland Police Service

Apply online via the Queensland Police Service.

Western Australia Police logo

Western Australia Police Force

Apply online via the Western Australia Police Force.

Essential information

Your police check certificate (also known as a criminal history check, police clearance or criminal record check) contains a list of disclosable court outcomes and pending charges from all Australian police jurisdictions, including traffic and non-police prosecuted matters. 

It is valid and can be used in:

  • Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
  • New South Wales (NSW)
  • Northern Territory (NT)
  • Queensland (QLD)
  • South Australia (SA)
  • Tasmania (TAS)
  • Victoria (VIC)
  • Western Australia (WA)

For more information, visit the Western Australia Police Force website or the Queensland Police Service website.

ID documents needed for your police check

To apply for a police check through a State Police agency, you’ll need 100 points of identification. The links below show you which ID documents you can use. Please note that online applications may have a shorter list of acceptable ID documents.

View acceptable ID documents for the Western Australia Police Force.

View acceptable ID documents for the Queensland Police Service.

Change of name

If the name you use to apply for a police check is different to the name on any of your identity documents, you must show proof of a name change when lodging your application. Documents accepted as proof of a name change are:

  • A marriage certificate or extract (issued by the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages)
  • A certificate of registration of name change
  • Birth Certificate issued by the Registrar of Birth Death and Marriages showing both the birth name and the changed name/s.

These documents must be originals, not copies.

Frequently asked questions