Flexible insurance protection for your home and contents

Life is unpredictable. But there is comfort in seeking protection for the things you love most against the unexpected. If you’re a homeowner looking to protect your most important assets, our home and contents insurance offers competitively priced cover1 that you can tailor to suit your needs.

Choose the level of insurance cover that works for you, whether it's for your home buildings, your belongings or both.

Our home and contents insurance is issued by QBE, one of the world’s largest insurers.

Special offer: $100 gift card

For a limited time, sign up for a combined Home and Contents Insurance policy to qualify for a $100 gift card. T&Cs apply.2

Why insure with us?

Sum insured security

If you need to rebuild following a disaster, we offer a safeguard of up to 30% on top of your nominated insurance value, if the costs exceed the building sum insured (eligibility criteria applies).

Value for money1

You’ll get plenty of benefits with our standard policy, meaning you won’t need to pay extra for features like electrical motor burnout, flood and storm surge insurance cover.

24/7 insurance claims

The straightforward claims experience includes support from a dedicated claims handler.

Choose your level of insurance cover

You can choose from home (buildings) insurance only, contents insurance only, or home and contents insurance combined.

What’s covered in your home and contents insurance policy?

Building damage

If you choose building insurance cover, your home and any outbuildings on your property, such as sheds, are covered up to your nominated building sum insured. We’ll cover the cost to repair, replace or rebuild your home following a disaster, which is backed by our lifetime repair guarantee if you use our panel repairers.

Contents damage

If you choose contents insurance cover, you’ll be covered for loss of or damage to belongings that are inside your home, like furniture, jewellery and watches, artworks and laptops, up to your contents sum insured. You can also add the portable contents cover option for an extra premium to insure things like mobile phones away from your home.

Alternative accomodation

We’ll pay for temporary accommodation costs for up to 24 months for you and your family if your home is unlivable because of one of the insured events.

Insured events

  • Fire, explosion, and burnout of electric motors

  • Theft, vandalism or malicious acts, and damage caused by riot

  • Weather events, including storm, storm surge, rain, hail, lightning and flood

  • Earthquake or tsunami

  • Glass breakage, collision, damage by animals or a falling tree

  • Water damage, such as a ruptured plumbing system

Upgrade your policy

Accidental damage

If you add this benefit, we’ll cover either your home, belongings or both for damage caused by accident.

Portable contents insurance

You can add this option if you’ve chosen contents cover. It can include things like bikes or jewellery, as well as mobile phones, watches and laptops.

Make a claim

The simple claims process is handled by QBE, and their claims team is here to help whenever you need them.

Did you buy home and contents insurance before 31 October 2020?

View contact details and information relating to your policy.

1 Value and competitiveness refers to an average market segment and may not include your specific circumstances.

Australia Post home and motor insurance is issued and underwritten by QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited (ABN 78 003 191 035, AFSL 239545) (QBE). Australian Postal Corporation (ABN 28 864 970 579, AR No: 338646) is an authorised representative of Australia Post Services Pty Limited (ABN 67 002 599 340, AFSL 457551) which is acting (under its own AFSL) on behalf of QBE. Any advice provided is general only and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and may not be right for you. To decide if this product is right for you, please read the relevant Combined Financial Services Guide and Product Disclosure Statement.

2 Mastercard Prepaid Management Services Australia Pty Ltd (ABN 47 145 452 044, AFSL 386 837) arranges for the issue of the Australia Post Gift Card by Mastercard (“Card”) in conjunction with the issuer Heritage Bank Limited ABN 32 087 652 024 AFSL 240984 Australian Credit Licence 240984 (“Issuer”) pursuant to a licence by Mastercard Asia/Pacific Pte Ltd. Australian Postal Corporation ABN 28 864 970 579 is the distributor of the Card and is responsible for providing various cardholder services and acts as an Authorised Representative of Australia Post Services Pty Ltd (ABN 67 002 599 340, AFSL 457551). Read the full terms and conditions before using the Card. The offer is available to customers who purchase an Australia Post comprehensive car or combined home and contents insurance policy between 18 April 2021 and 11 July 2021 via auspost.com.au/insurance or by calling 13 70 11. The customer will qualify for the offer 21 days after purchasing the insurance policy. Once the customer has qualified for the offer, an Australia Post Gift Card by Mastercard with $100 will be mailed to the customer within 40 days for each policy purchased. We reserve the right to shorten or extend the period the discount is offered and vary the amount of the discount, to be exercised in our absolute discretion.