The relevant State and Local Government Authorities in each state are responsible for locality naming and determining boundary extent.
Contact your local council or shire if you have any concerns about your assigned locality.
Australia Post may introduce, retire or change postcodes at any time at its absolute discretion to support operational requirements and provide enhanced service to our customers.
Changes to postcodes may involve consultation with the local council/shire and residents, depending upon the scale and significant impact of the change.
Postcode changes are implemented from a specified date but we ensure that either postcode can be recognised for a limited period without reducing service to customers.
Postcodes remain at all times the property of Australia Post and shall not be reproduced without Australia Post's permission.
Australia Post grants limited, revocable, non-exclusive licence to download and use Postcodes for the sole purpose of non-commercial reference.
Other than the use expressly permitted above, other organisations are expressly forbidden to download, copy or use all or any Postcodes for any of the following purposes:
- use in any database and/or application for the purposes of providing, updating or maintaining any publicly available postcode look up or finder functionality;
- to sub-license, sell, lend, rent, transfer, lease or grant any rights or use in any form or by any means all or any portion of the extract file(s) and the data contained within or make the extract file(s) and the data contained within available to any person, company, organisation, agency, or business entity without prior written permission of Australia Post;
- to modify the extract file;
- to reverse engineer or disassemble the extract file;
- to create derivative works based on the extract file;
- to remove or obscure any notice of copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights;
- to make any use of the extract file in a way which directly or indirectly causes Australia Post financial loss (including, without limitation, consequential damages with existing clients and / or loss of commercial opportunities with existing clients and / or potential future clients).
Need more information?
If you have any questions about how we allocate postcodes, call our postcode enquiry service on
13 13 18.