- Log in to the Western Union Money Transfer Service and choose 'Send money now'. (If you don't have an account, you can register for free.)^
- Enter your transfer amount and select a destination country
- Choose your preferred delivery method
- Enter your receiver's details
- Pay for your transfer
- You'll receive a confirmation email with the transfer number (MTCN). If you've chosen 'Cash pick-up' as the delivery method, you'll need to share this transfer number with the receiver.
- About International Money Transfers
- Receive money
- Track a transfer
- Support & FAQs
Send money overseas with Western Union®
Three ways to send your money
Tailor your money transfer to the receiver's needs by choosing the most convenient delivery method.
Cash pick-up (Money in Minutes1 service)
The receiver can collect the money as cash at any Western Union® Agent location.
- Funds are available for pick-up in minutes1
- Receiver doesn't need a bank account
- Collect money from nearly 500,000 Western Union Agent locations in more than 200 countries2
To a bank account
The money is credited directly to the receiver's bank account within 5 business days.
- No need for the receiver to visit an Agent location
- Lock in the foreign exchange rate at the time of transfer
- Available to over 40# countries, with transfer fees as low as $8*
- For selected bank accounts in countries such as India and the Phillippines, funds will be available in minutes. Visit the Western Union website for details.
To a mobile phone
The money is sent straight to a mobile wallet linked to the receiver's phone number. This service is available to selected countries and mobile operators.3
- All you need is the receiver's name and phone number
- SMS notification when the money is delivered
How to send money overseas
Click on the red text below for a step-by-step guide to sending money overseas with Western Union.
- Visit a participating Post Office to send up to $7,500
- Complete the 'Send money' section of the Western Union Money Transfer form
- Select your preferred delivery method
- Present your form and valid photo ID to pay for your transfer over the counter
- Save your receipt with the transfer number. If you've chosen 'Cash pick-up' as the delivery method, you'll need to share this transfer number with the receiver.
Online payments can be made via credit card (Visa or MasterCard) or bank transfer.
If you're lodging your transfer at a participating Post Office, you can pay with cash or EFTPOS (cheque or savings accounts only).
- * $8 to send up to $1,500 and $12 for remaining principals to the Philippines. Please contact any Western Union Agent for fee to send different amounts to different countries. Western Union also makes money from currency exchange. When choosing a money transmitter, carefully compare both transfer fees and exchange rates. Subject to applicable taxes, if any.
- # Visit the Western Union website for the complete list of countries for direct-to-bank service.
- ^ Should you click on links to Western Union, you will be leaving the Australia Post site and be directed to the Western Union site to transfer your money. Please see the terms and conditions of the Western Union site for further details.
- 1 Funds may be delayed or services unavailable based on certain factors, including the amount sent, destination country, currency availability, regulatory issues, identification requirements, agent location hours, differences in time zones, and selection of delayed delivery options. Additional restrictions may apply. See the Western Union Money Transfer Transaction Form and/or terms and conditions for more details.
- 2 Network data as of 31 March 2015.
- 3 Visit the Western Union website for the complete list of countries and mobile operators for mobile phone service. Funds will be paid to receiver's mobile wallet account provider for credit to account tied to receiver's mobile number. Additional third-party charges may apply, including SMS and account over-limit and cash.