If you’d like extra peace of mind when sending an item, you can add Extra Cover. It provides loss or damage cover up to the specified value of your item (from $100 up to $5,000) while it’s being carried by Australia Post.
Extra Cover costs $0 for the first $100 of cover and $4 for each subsequent $100 of cover (above $100 included cover) up to $5,000.
If you don’t purchase Extra Cover and your item is lost or damaged while in our care, you may still be eligible for compensation of up to $100. We offer this for most items you send with us, with eligibility of claims assessed on a case-by-case basis. A refund of postage may also be payable.
Cover up to $5,000 is available for most international services except Economy Air letters and Economy Air parcels, which can have a maximum cover of up to $500.
Extra Cover isn’t available for:
- Registered Post International, which comes with $100 maximum compensation for loss or damage included
- every country – check your destination country in our Postage Assessment Calculator
- items prohibited for carriage by your destination country – check our International Post Guide for postal restrictions by country
Sending an item? Learn more about what’s not eligible for Extra Cover.
Please note that if you’re a business or online retailer with an Australia Post eParcel contract in place, your items are not eligible for compensation or Extra Cover – instead you can choose Transit Cover for loss or damage cover.
How to add Extra Cover
- Simply ask to purchase Extra Cover when you pay for postage at a Post Office
- You can also add Extra Cover after you’ve bought your satchel or postage label – just ask for it at your Post Office before you send your item
- If you’re printing your shipping labels online using your MyPost Business account, you can add Extra Cover during the order process
Making a claim
Find out how to lodge a claim for lost or damaged items carried by Australia Post.