26 October 2015
Each quarter, the Australia Post Consumer Survey canvasses more than 2,000 Australians, regarding their attitudes towards communications, advertising and the channels marketers use. In September 2015, the survey looked at people's attitudes to receiving product samples, how often they prefer to receive them and how likely they are to purchase a product they sample.
In the report:
- An overwhelming 86% of Australians like receiving product samples.
- Only 19% had received a sample within the last month and almost half (48%) would like to receive them at least on a weekly basis.
- Three quarters of people want to be able to request more samples and most (85%) would prefer to do this by completing an online form on a company website.
- 72% of Australians received their last product sample in the mail - this is the preferred channel for receiving samples by 93% of people.
- 50% of Australians remember the brand of a sample they received.
- One in four Australians who sampled a product went on to purchase it.
- 64% of Australians believe that including an incentive offer with a product sample increases the likelihood of product purchase.
- 84% of Australians would be happy to receive products from recognised or unknown brands.