'Personal information' means information we hold about you where your identity is either clear or can be reasonably determined. When you give us your personal information, it imposes a serious responsibility on us. Protecting your privacy when handling your personal information is very important to us and is fundamental to the way we serve you.
Generally, we will collect personal information directly from you, and only to the extent necessary to provide the product or service (including our agency functions) you requested or to carry out our internal administrative operations or meet relevant regulatory requirements. An 'agency function' means a service that we provide to you on behalf of another organisation, such as our Post Billpay and Bank@Post services. We may also collect personal information for the purpose of enhancing our ability to improve service delivery to you and other customers in the future.
We may collect personal information from you when:
- you fill in an application form;
- deal with us over the telephone or over web chat;
- purchase a product or service in one of our retail outlets;
- register for, or use, our online products and services;
- e-mail us;
- create an account with us;
- participate in an online promotion
- provide us with feedback
- complete online surveys
- contact, register with, post to, like or follow any of our social media websites, pages, forums or blogs
- ask us to contact you after visiting our website.
We will collect personal information from you by lawful and fair means.
If you choose to not provide your personal information when requested, we may not be able to deliver the product or service that you have requested. We will endeavour to make this as clear as possible for each service.
In some cases, where it makes sense and is lawful, you can interact with us anonymously or by using a pseudonym (an alias). We will endeavour to make this option clear when it is available to you.
As noted above, we will only collect personal information from you that's necessary to provide the product or service or to carry out internal administrative functions, or any other personal information you submit to us. We collect different personal information depending on the product or service that you have requested. Some examples include:
- Parcels - When you ship a parcel with us we will capture the details of the parcel including shipping activities (for tracking purposes), the weight and dimensions of the parcel, and the sender and receiver details. This information allows us to route the package and to respond to queries from both the sender and the receiver.
Mail Call - We collect your personal information when you communicate with us to inquire, book or pay for our courier services.
We may also collect personal information from third parties such as retailers, other individuals or any other third party in order to provide our courier services to you. In such instances we assume the person providing the information is authorised to provide us with your personal information. There may be occasions when we collect information about you from a third party where it is reasonably necessary or normal business practice to do so, for example from payment gateways relating to payments made through third party providers.
- Identity and Document Services - Given our broad presence across Australian communities, we provide a range of identity and document services that allow our customers to