If you’d like extra peace of mind when sending an item, you can add Extra Cover. It provides loss or damage cover up to the specified value of your item (from $100 up to $5,000) while it’s being carried by Australia Post.
- You can buy Extra Cover in increments of $2 per $100, or part thereof, of your item’s specified value, up to a value of $5,000.
- You must add $2.95 for Signature on Delivery if your item is valued above $500 (this does not apply to Courier Post or Registered Post, as it’s already included).
If you don’t purchase Extra Cover and your item is lost or damaged while in our care, you may still be eligible for compensation of up to $50. We offer this for most items you send with us, with eligibility of claims assessed on a case-by-case basis. A refund of postage may also be payable.
How to add Extra Cover
- Simply ask to purchase Extra Cover when you pay for postage at a Post Office
- You can also add Extra Cover after you’ve bought your satchel or postage label – just ask for it at your Post Office before you send your item
- If you’re printing your shipping labels online using your MyPost Business account, you can add Extra Cover during the order process
Sending an item? Learn more about what’s not eligible for Extra Cover.
Please note if you’re a business or online retailer with an Australia Post eParcel contract in place, your items are not eligible for compensation or Extra Cover – instead you can choose Transit Cover for loss or damage cover.
Making a claim
Find out how to lodge a claim for lost or damaged items carried by Australia Post.