Thailand Travel Insurance
Thailand is one of the most popular destinations to visit in South East Asia. With its sandy white beaches, iconic temples, opulent royal palaces, mouth-watering food and a relaxed pace of life, there’s something magical about exotic, fun-loving Thailand.
With so much to discover, travelling to Thailand with travel insurance cover is a must.
Thailand’s capital Bangkok is one of the most exciting cities in the world. Travel by tuk-tuk through the busy streets, visit the stunning Grand Palace and wind your way through the colourful floating markets. When you’re in Bangkok, the journey can be just as exciting as your destination!
Other top Thailand holiday regions you might want to include on your itinerary include:
- Phuket, for a relaxing island getaway
- Koh Samui, loved for its rural charm, world class resorts and tropical island holidays on a budget
- Krabi, Southern Thailand’s best kept secret, full of stunning natural attractions across eight districts.
From gourmet Thai restaurants in the culinary centres of Bangkok and Chiang Mai, to food vendors in street markets and small provincial towns, one of the great pleasures of travel in Thailand is enjoying the local cuisine.
Unfortunately, the risk of food poisoning is high when travelling in less developed countries. Take preventative measures like washing your hands before eating, keeping fingers away from your mouth and being selective about what you eat or drink. Stick to bottled water and eat at busy restaurants and stalls serving freshly cooked local food and peelable fruits. Avoid any uncooked, undercooked or reheated food.
Rest assured if you do end up with a bout of food poisoning, you’ll be in good hands if something goes wrong.
You may be eligible for our Travel GP Service2, which connects you with an Australian-based GP for medical advice. There's no tackling a foreign language or health care system, you simply make a call to our medical assistance team, and one of our Australian-based GP will be in touch if you’re eligible.
Sadly, pickpocketing and bag snatching can happen in Thailand. With crime levels generally higher than what we’re used to here in Australia, make sure you store your valuables safely and never leave them unattended.
Our International Comprehensive Travel Insurance Plan covers a range of lost, stolen or damaged items. You’ll travel with confidence knowing that if you do fall victim to petty crime, we’ll cover the value of lost, stolen or damaged smartphones, cameras, tablet computers, laptops and all other electronic up to the value of our single item limits.1
And for an additional premium1, you can also increase the value of cover for specific items so your high value, favourite travel items can be covered.
In Thailand’s main tourist areas like Bangkok and Phuket, internet access is widely available. You’ll find plenty of Wi-Fi hot-spots and internet cafes around. And you’ll be able to use your mobile phone in most urban areas.
However, many of the islands or more remote areas may not have network coverage. Check that you have global roaming activated with your mobile carrier before you leave home or invest in an Australia Post Prepaid TravelSIM®3 for keeping the cost of data, calls and text under control.
Got a taste for Thailand? Find out more about travel insurance for Thailand.
- 1 For a single item, you may increase the limit up to $4,500. The maximum limit for this benefit for multiple items is $7,500. Receipts or valuations (less than 12 months old) must be available if requested.
- 2 The Travel GP Service does not form part of your travel insurance policy. It is a service offered to customers at your travel insurance provider’s costs and at their sole discretion. Your circumstances including age, location, medical condition or issue, proximity to appropriate medical care and medical history will also be considered. Find out more about the Travel GP Service here.
- 3 TravelSIM® is a registered trademark of Premas Solutions IP Pty Ltd and licensed exclusively to TravelSIM Australia Pty Ltd in Australia. Powered by TravelSIM®
- This advice is general in nature, and doesn't consider your needs or personal situation. You should consider your own needs and the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) before making a decision to buy the product.
- Limits, sub-limits, conditions, exclusions and fees apply. Policies may not be available to all travellers. Australian Postal Corporation (ABN 28 864 970 579, AR No 338646) is the distributor of Australia Post Travel Insurance and is an Authorised Representative of Australia Post Services Pty Ltd (ABN 67 002 599 340 AFSL 457551). Travel insurance products are underwritten by Zurich Australian Insurance Limited (ABN 13 000 296 640, AFSL 232507). Consider your financial situation, needs and objectives and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before deciding to buy this insurance. Download a copy of the combined FSGS/PDS (596kb) , or for our In-store international Travel Insurance policies, contact us on 1300 728 015, email email@example.com or obtain a copy in-store.