Missing mail items
If your parcel or letter hasn't been delivered as expected, and you are concerned that it is missing or lost, we'd like to help you find it.
Things to check
If you are trying to find a missing or late mail item, there are a few things you can check in the first instance.
If the article was sent using a tracked service, use our track your item tool to check its status.
- Address details
Check the address details with the sender to make sure the item was correctly addressed.
- Card received
Check if an 'Item Awaiting Collection' or 'Safe Drop' card has been left in the letterbox or under the recipient's door.
- Accepted by others
Check if anyone else at the address has accepted or signed for the item.
- Delivery times
Check delivery times to see when the item should be received.
Following these steps, if you believe your item is missing, please submit a missing item enquiry so that we can investigate.
Submitting an enquiry
Items scanned as 'delivered'
The addressee should lodge a delivery issue enquiry if the item is showing in our track tool or via a track advice email as 'delivered' but has not been received.
All other items
The sender of the item should lodge a missing or late item enquiry form according to the following timeframes:
- If an Express Post item is more than 1 day late
- If any other item is more than 3 days late
- If an International Courier item is more than 2 days late
- If an International Express item is more than 5 days late
- If an International Standard, Registered Post International or International Economy Air item with Extra Cover is more than 15 days late
- If an International Economy Sea or International Economy Air item without Extra Cover is more than 90 days late
- we are unable to accept missing item enquiries, or commence investigations, before these specified times.
- all queries regarding lost or missing items must be made by the sender of the item.
If your letter or parcel is lost or damaged in transit, you may be entitled to compensation depending on the service that was used to send it.
Find out about applying for compensation.