Tax file number applications
Are you an Australian resident and need a tax file number (TFN)? We can help. Apply online and verify your identity at one of our participating retail outlets around Australia.
Australian residents can apply for a TFN online.
Please note: This application applies to Australian residents only. If you live outside Australia, or are a permanent migrant or temporary visitor, visit the Australian Taxation Office website for more information.
How to apply
- Complete the online application form by visiting ato.gov.au/tfnapply
- Print the application summary and gather your required identity documents to present at an interview
- Find a participating Australia Post retail outlet near you. Only selected retail outlets accept TFN applications. While bookings are not essential, you may book an appointment if you prefer
To complete your application, you must visit a participating Australia Post retail outlet for an interview within 30 days of printing your application summary. Don't forget to bring along your application summary and required identity documents
You should receive your TFN within 28 days after your interview. The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) will mail your TFN to the postal address on your application. Your patience during the processing period is appreciated. Please do not lodge another application during this time.
- Visit the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website
For more information on how to protect your tax file number, visit the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website
- Contact the Australian Tax Office (ATO) on 13 28 61 between 8am and 6pm (EST), Monday to Friday
To make or reschedule an appointment for an interview, call 13 13 18 or visit auspost.com.au/ato-tfn-services
Find an outlet
Find your nearest participating Australia Post retail outlet.
Fill in the application form online for a TFNApply now