The following items are prohibited from importation, meaning they won't be allowed to enter the destination country, territory or region.
To check which items are considered dangerous and prohibited for sending from Australia, download our dangerous goods guide (1.2MB).
- Animals, live
- Ammunition, explosives and similar items
- Firearms and firearm parts
- Narcotics, behaviour-influencing substances and devices for their use
- Organic and inorganic chemicals
- Precious metals and stones
- Products of the printing industry- offensive by nature
- Plant products - hyacinth bulbs, carnation and chrysanthemum seedlings and cuttings, seeds of leguminous plants, seeds of weeds subject to quarantine
- Raw materials of animal origin
- Securities of any kind payable to bearer
- Weapons and all components
Ordinary and registered letters
Latvia does not accept ordinary and registered letters containing articles subject to customs duty.
If an item is subject to import restrictions, it means that provisions must be met before it will be released from customs in the destination country, territory or region.
We recommend you confirm import restrictions with local authorities before posting:
- Animal products
- Plants and plant products.
- Pharmaceutical products
Gifts to private individuals up to 50 lats value are duty-exempt if the article contains no more than three identical objects.
Okay to send? Send responsibly.
As the sender, it's your responsibility to make sure your items don't break any laws or rules – both within Australia and in the destination country.
Restrictions and conditions can change at short notice so the information on this page should be used as a guide only. For the latest information, you should check the UPU prohibitions & restrictions (PDF 7.2MB) or contact the destination country's customs, postal trade or government authority.
It's also your responsibility to check if the destination country imposes any duties, taxes, brokerage fees or any other fees on the item you're sending. If you're unsure, please contact the consulate office of the destination country.
In addition to our customs forms, authorities in the destination country, territory or region require further documentation for some items.
Animal products require a Certificate of Veterinary Service.
Plant products require a Phytosanitary Certificate.
Delivery locations & exclusions
Before sending to this destination, it’s worth noting a few more details about our international delivery services.
- International Express (carried via the EMS network) - Parcels deliver to all destinations
International Express - Parcels does not deliver to a Post Office Box however does deliver to Poste Restante.
- International Express - Letters service available on a non-guaranteed basis
For more information from the overseas carrier, check the Latvijas Pasts website.