The following items are prohibited from importation, meaning they won't be allowed to enter the destination country, territory or region.
To check which items are considered dangerous and prohibited for sending from Australia, download our dangerous goods guide (1.2MB).
- Coins, banknotes, and securities payable to bearer
- Batteries (lithium)
- Films - entertainment
- Pharmaceutical products
- Platinum, gold or silver
- Precious stones and metals
- Radio receiver equipment
- Travellers cheques
- Tape and video
- Telecommunications equipment.
Lithium batteries and devices containing them are prohibited from being sent to Laos.
If an item is subject to import restrictions, it means that provisions must be met before it will be released from customs in the destination country, territory or region.
We recommend you confirm import restrictions with local authorities before posting:
The Lao People’s Democratic Republic admits only the following goods. Senders require the written authorisation of the Lao Ministry of Industry and Trade to send anything not on the list:
- Articles of no commercial value
- Art works, original, imported by their creators
- Goods imported by the diplomatic and consular corps
- Goods re-imported after temporary export
- Newspapers, printed papers and other published items that cannot harm the Lao People’s Democratic Republic.
- Personal effects and clothing
- Pharmaceutical products for medical or scientific purposes
- Red Cross articles
- Wedding trousseaux and school uniforms.
Okay to send? Send responsibly.
As the sender, it's your responsibility to make sure your items don't break any laws or rules – both within Australia and in the destination country.
Restrictions and conditions can change at short notice so the information on this page should be used as a guide only. For the latest information, you should check the UPU prohibitions & restrictions (PDF 7.2MB) or contact the destination country's customs, postal trade or government authority.
It's also your responsibility to check if the destination country imposes any duties, taxes, brokerage fees or any other fees on the item you're sending. If you're unsure, please contact the consulate office of the destination country.
In addition to our customs forms, authorities in the destination country, territory or region require further documentation for some items.
See Import restrictions.
Delivery locations & exclusions
Before sending to this destination, it’s worth noting a few more details about our international delivery services.
- International Express (carried via the EMS network) - Parcels delivers only to the places shown in each Province
|Luang Namtha Province||
|Luang Prabang Province||
|Muong Ngoy||Phonxay||Xieng Ngeun|
|Xieng Khouang Province||
- International Express - Parcels does deliver to Post Office Box and Poste Restante.
For more information from the overseas carrier, check the Lao Telecom website.