EU customs changes affecting businesses
On 1 July 2021, important customs changes will apply to businesses sending goods to EU countries.
The following items are prohibited from importation, meaning they won't be allowed to enter the destination country, territory or region.
To check which items are considered dangerous and prohibited for sending from Australia, download our dangerous goods guide (1.2MB).
- Arms and ammunition
- Articles which, by their nature or their packing, may endanger the life or health of postal officials or other persons
- Bullion and currency
- Bulgarian coins
- Clothing, linen or footwear, used
- Coins, banknotes, and securities payable to bearer
- Movable cultural monuments without a permit or a certificate
- Obscene or immoral articles
- Precious stones, jewels and metals
- Psychotropic substances
- Printed matter, publications, photographs, films, tapes, etc prejudicial to the political or economic institutions of Bulgaria
- Religious materials connected with prohibited or unregistered sects or organizations Travellers’ cheques
- Valuable articles in uninsured postal items.
Lithium batteries and devices containing them are prohibited from being sent via International Express.
If an item is subject to import restrictions, it means that provisions must be met before it will be released from customs in the destination country, territory or region.
We recommend you confirm import restrictions with local authorities before posting:
Senders should determine import restrictions from Bulgarian authorities before posting securities, medicines, plants, or parts of plants. Postage stamps must be addressed to stamp collectors through the Bulgarian Postal Philatelic Service. Only private persons may send gifts. Gifts may include printed publications, photographs, films, gramophone records, magnetic tapes, manuscripts, music sheets and similar objects, provided they are not contrary to the laws and customs of Bulgaria.
Senders should determine import restrictions from Bulgarian authorities before posting:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Animal products
- Animal skins
- Chemicals, non-hazardous
- Computer software
- Cotton and cotton seeds
- Dangerous goods, haz or comb materials
- Drugs: prescription and non-prescription
- Food stuffs
- Gambling services
- Grain samples
- Medical samples
- Oil products
- Parts of machines
- Plants and plant products
- Precious metals and stones
- Ship spares
- Sports equipment
- Textile articles Tobacco.
EDN’s and export permits are required for:
- Kangaroo skins
- Crocodile skins
- Emu oil Fish oil
- Bunker oil
- Petroleum-based products
- Tobacco and tobacco products
- Any other alcohol including beer and spirits all volumes
Okay to send? Send responsibly.
As the sender, it's your responsibility to make sure your items don't break any laws or rules – both within Australia and in the destination country.
Restrictions and conditions can change at short notice so the information on this page should be used as a guide only. For the latest information, you should check the UPU prohibitions & restrictions (PDF 7.2MB) or contact the destination country's customs, postal trade or government authority.
It's also your responsibility to check if the destination country imposes any duties, taxes, brokerage fees or any other fees on the item you're sending. If you're unsure, please contact the consulate office of the destination country.
In addition to our customs forms, authorities in the destination country, territory or region require further documentation for some items.
Bulgaria has no current requirements for special documentation.
The sender and receiver details must be addressed with a valid street address in English. A Post Office Box address is not acceptable.
The sender is responsible for finding if the destination country may impose duties, taxes, brokerage fees or any other fees that may be applied on the item that is being sent. Please contact the consulate office of the country you are sending to or contact the Australia Post Customer Contact Centre on 13 76 78.
Delivery locations & exclusions
Before sending to this destination, it’s worth noting a few more details about our international delivery services.
Delivery locations & exclusions data (Personal)
- International Express (carried via the EMS network) - Parcels deliver only to the places shown
- Bjala Cherkva
- Bjala Slatina
- Cherven Brjag
- Dolna Mitropoliya
- Dolna Orjahovica
- Dolni Dabnik
- Dve Mogili
- Elin Pelin
- Goce Delchev
- Golden Sands
- Gorna Dabeva
- Gorna Oryahovitza
- Malko Tarnovo
- Medeni Polyani
- Nova Zagora
- Novi Pazar
- Pobit Kamak
- Stara Zagora
- Sunny Beach
- Sv Konstantin
- Veliko Tarnovo
- Zlatna Panega
International Express - Parcels does not deliver to a Post Office Box or Poste Restante.
- International Express - Letters service available on a non-guaranteed basis
For more information from the overseas carrier, check the Bulgarian Post website.