The following links change the content below them.
If you need to renew or apply for a new British passport, you can have your application reviewed at a participating Australia Post retail outlet.
What we will do
- Collect your British passport application on behalf of the British High Commission
- Process your payment
- Arrange secure delivery of your application and documentation to the High Commission
- Deliver your original documents securely to you by Express Post Platinum
Your new passport will be delivered separately by the Identity and Passport Service (IPS). Please make sure you apply for your British passport at least 6 weeks before you plan to travel.
Follow these simple steps to renew or apply for your British passport
How to apply
Step 1: Complete your application Click to expand Click to collapse
Download and print the application form from the British High Commission website.
- If you're 16 and over and applying for your first British passport, or renewing your existing British passport, use Form C1 and the C1 notes.
- For passport applications or renewals for children under the age of 16, use Form C2 and the C2 notes.
Step 2: Take your photo Click to expand Click to collapse
Australia Post retail outlets that offer Instant ID Photos and can take quality passport compliant photographs for you. You can use our Post Office Locator and select the Instant ID Photo service to find one near you.
You'll need to have 1 photo endorsed and signed by a counter-signatory if:
- you're applying for a new passport
- you're renewing a passport for a child under 12 years of age
- if your appearance is very different from the photo in your current or lost passport
- you're replacing a lost or stolen passport.
Please refer to the British High Commission website for guidelines and organise this before your interview. For all other applicants, you can have your photo taken during your interview.
Step 3: Book your interview Click to expand Click to collapse
As part of your application process you'll need to attend an interview at one of our 130 participating retail outlets.
There are 3 ways you can book your interview:
- Book a passport interview online via our Post Office Locator
- Call us on 13 POST (13 7678)
- Ask at any Australia Post retail outlet
Step 4: Attend your interview and pay your application fee Click to expand Click to collapse
At your interview, we'll collect your application and documentation, process your payment, and securely deliver your application and documents to the High Commission. Unfortunately we are unable to tell you if you're eligible or qualify for a passport.
Please use the British High Commission application note, website and/or contact phone number for advice about your application.
What to bring to your interview:
- Completed application form
- Two identical colour ID photographs that meet British Government requirements
- All documentation required by the British Government
- Fee Sheet and payment for your application fee
Need help? Please refer to the British High Commission website
Passport application and renewal fees
When you attend your passport interview and once your application has been collected, you'll need to pay your passport application fee. We accept payments by cash, MasterCard or Visa, or EFTPOS.
This fee is a non-refundable administration fee.
Frequently asked questions
Support & FAQs
How long will it take?
Once your application is received by the British High Commission, it will take approximately 3 to 4 weeks to process. If your previous passport was lost or stolen, it may take longer.
Can I track my application?
Yes, outgoing applications can be tracked via our Track my Item tool. You will need to enter the Registered Post number located on the receipt we gave you during your application interview.
Return applications can be tracked by calling the UK Passport Helpline (Careline) on 0900 9902021. They'll be able to give you an update on your application and, if a new passport has been printed, the DHL track and trace number.
What happens to my Australian visa?
Your Australian visa will not be automatically transferred into your new passport. Contact the Department of Immigration and Citizenship to find out how you can get a replacement visa sticker for your new passport.
The British High Commission has detailed information about British passports and application requirements.
The British High Commission also has a call centre that you can contact between 9am to 6pm Australian Eastern Standard Time. Please be aware that calls incur charges.
1 Premium rate line, charges will apply. Contact the British High Commission for further information.
Make an appointment
Book your passport interview at a participating Australia Post retail outlet.Book now