Proving your identity
To ensure your mail is safe and secure, we need to verify your identity before we can process your mail redirection or mail holding application.
Suitable forms of identification
Find out what identification you'll need to provide in the sections below.
Personal mail - applying online Click to expand Click to collapse
You'll need to provide details of one of the following forms of ID:
- Australian Driver's Licence (all states)
- Australian Visa
- Australian Passport
- Australian Medicare card
We'll check your ID using a secure online verification system.
Personal mail - applying in-store Click to expand Click to collapse
You'll need to show us:
- Photo ID such as an Australian driver's licence or passport (student cards and credit cards are not accepted)
Alternatively, provide one of each of the following:
- a document with your name and Australian residential address, such as a bank statement, rates notice or residential lease, and
- a document that shows your signature, such as a student card or Statutory Declaration
Business or government mail Click to expand Click to collapse
You need to lodge your application at a Post Office and be an authorised person such as a managing partner, company secretary, trustee or other agent.
Please bring with you:
- written authorisation that you have the authority to act on behalf of the business or organisation. The authorisation must be on official letterhead and include the full name and residential address of the agent. It must be signed by an authorised person of the business or organisation
- proof of identity of the person lodging the application, as per the requirements for "personal mail - applying in store"
- an original or certified copy of the Business Registration Certificate (if applicable)
- for a club or association, a certified copy of the minutes of the Annual General Meeting appointing the office-holders
- for a company or company trustee, the company seal must be applied to the application, next to the Director or trustee's signature.
For more information, please refer to section 8 and 9 of our Terms and Conditions.
Deceased individuals Click to expand Click to collapse
If you're applying on behalf of a deceased estate, you need to lodge your application in person. You'll need to show us:
- a copy of the grant of probate or letter of administration showing that the person lodging the application is an executor or administrator of the estate, or a family member if no executor or administrator has been appointed
- proof of identity of the person lodging the application, as per the requirements for personal mail - applying in store.
Notify organisations service Click to expand Click to collapse
ID requirements vary when applying for our notify organisations service. For this reason, it is a good idea to have various forms of ID handy when you complete your application.
What we will ask you for
We will ask for ID verification if you are not the person who submitted the original mail redirection application.
In this case, you will need to provide details of at least 2 of the following within the notify organisations service application:
- Driver's licence
- Australian electoral roll
- State electoral roll
- Australian passport
- Medibank Private health insurance
- Tax File Number.
What the participating organisations may ask you for
Some of the organisations you choose to notify may have their own requirements for verifying your identity during the application process.
Regardless of whether you are the person who lodged the original mail redirection application or not, they may ask you for further proof of ID.
Suitable forms of ID include those listed above. You will also need to have your account or membership details handy for each organisation. Don't worry if you don't have all necessary documents on hand.
You can come back as many times as you want to notify further organisations.
Got what you need?
Okay, let's get started!