What to do if you're in a car accident
Car accidents can happen anywhere, anytime, even if you're the safest driver around. Other drivers may be careless or inexperienced, roads could be dangerous due to bad weather, or you could just be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
At the scene
If you're involved in an accident, stop immediately. If the damage isn't extensive, move your car to the side of the road so you're not blocking traffic. Take a photo of the scene before moving your car, for insurance purposes.
If you can't move your car, turn on the hazard lights, leave your vehicle and move to a safe place.
Always stop to check on other parties involved, and to assess any damage caused.
Make sure you get details about any other party involved in the accident, including their name, address, phone number, driver's licence number, licence plate number and insurance details.
Call emergency services
Call for an ambulance if anyone is injured.
You should call the police if property is damaged, or if the other party did not stop or is refusing to provide their personal details.
Depending on the circumstances, a police report may be required.
Call your insurer
If you have car insurance, contact your insurer as soon as possible. For Australia Post Car Insurance claims, call 1300 885 996. We'll help you get a tow truck if required, and organise transport to get you home. We'll also process your claim to get you back on the road as soon as possible.
Information your insurer will need:
- Name, contact details and licence numbers of the owner and driver of the other vehicle
- Details of your car
- Details of the other car - registration number, colour, make and model
- The other driver's insurance details
- A summary of the accident, including where and when it happened
What you shouldn't do
- Argue with the other driver(s) involved
- Drive off without stopping to check for damage or injuries
- Admit it was your fault - leave this to your insurer to decide
* This online discount offer only applies to the premium paid for a new Gold Comprehensive car insurance policy initiated on or after 26 March 2015, and purchased online. The discount is taken from the premium that you would pay for a Gold Comprehensive motor vehicle insurance policy when a quote is obtained over the phone. Base rate premiums are subject to change. It does not apply to any renewal offer of insurance or fees (as outlined in the Financial Services Guide (FSG) (316kb)). You will be responsible for all applicable GST and other statutory charges. We reserve the right to shorten or extend the period the discount is offered and vary the amount of the discount.
Australian Postal Corporation ABN 28 864 970 579 (AR No. 338646) "APC" is the distributor of Australia Post Comprehensive Car Insurance and acts as an Authorised Representative of Australia Post Services Pty Ltd ABN 67 002 599 340 (AFSL No. 457551) "APS". Because APC or APS don't know your financial needs, we can't advise if this insurance will suit you. You should consider your needs and read the FSG and Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) before making a decision to buy this insurance. Auto and General Services ABN 61 003 617 909 (AFSL 241411) "AGS" arranges the insurance on behalf of Auto & General Insurance Company Ltd ABN 42 111 5 86 353 (AFSL No. 285 571) "AGIC", the issuer of the policy. AGS pays APC a commission which is a percentage of your premium. Neither APC nor APS accept liability or guarantee payment of any claim or benefit in respect of the AGIC's products.
Get a quote
Find a car insurance policy that meets your personal needs.Get a 25% discount* if you buy our Gold Comprehensive policy online!Get a quote
Retrieve a quote
Commenced a quote and want to revisit it?Retrieve quote
Get a quote
1800 22 00 44
1300 858 747
Make a claim
1300 885 996