The following links change the content below them.
Arrange foreign cash before you head off
When you're travelling and about to arrive at your destination, it's always easier if you have cash on hand for taxis, phone calls, or buying something to eat - and there may not always be an ATM nearby.
We can take the stress out of travelling by helping you organise your foreign currency before you fly. We also offer $0 commission1 on all foreign cash purchases.
Foreign cash is available in the following currencies:
Foreign cash benefits
- $0 commission1 - for all foreign cash purchases
- Avoid currency fluctuations - lock in exchange rate at time of purchase
- Greater accessibility - use foreign cash for purchases where cards and travellers cheques aren't accepted
- Convenient - available for collection at over 3,200 Australia Post retail outlets
1 Exchange rates may include a service charge. Financial institution fees and limits apply. Please visit American Express for more information.
Foreign cash transaction limits
The following limits apply and are on a per transaction basis. You can place multiple orders at one time.
How to order foreign cash
Order your cash
It's easy to order your foreign cash! Just follow these simple steps:
- Choose your currency
- Check the exchange rate
- Order your foreign cash either online or in-store Order it online
- You can order your foreign cash online through American Express1 and pay over the phone or online using BPAY®.
- Order it in-store
- You can order foreign cash from over 3,200 participating Australia Post retail outlets and pay with cash or EFTPOS2 (cheque or savings accounts only).
4. Collect your foreign cash beforehand from your chosen outlet3. Don't forget to bring your purchase receipt and photo ID with you.
1 Financial institution fees and limits may apply so please check with your financial institution.
2 If you click on links to American Express, you will leave the Australia Post site and be directed to a third party site to place your order and complete your purchase. Please see the terms and conditions of the third-party site for further details.
3 Collection at the same Australia Post retail outlet. Outside metropolitan areas may take longer.
Support & FAQs
For all general enquiries, please call 13POST (13 7678).
Frequently asked questions
How long will it take for my foreign cash to be ready for collection?
If you order by midday (AEST) at an Australia Post retail outlet, your foreign cash will be ready for collection by 4pm the next business day1 in metro areas (regional areas may take 2 days). If you order online, you should allow 3-4 business days for collection from your nominated retail outlet.
We'll confirm the collection date when you place your foreign cash order.
What proof of ID will I need to collect my foreign cash?
The only person who can collect your order is you.
Collecting orders worth less than A$2,000 Click to expand Click to collapse
When you come in to collect your foreign cash you'll need to show one valid form of government-issued photo ID that shows your signature (such as your driver's licence or passport).
Collecting orders worth more than A$2,000 Click to expand Click to collapse
You'll need to show us 2 forms of ID:
- One primary ID that is government-issued with a photo and signature (e.g. driver's licence or passport) AND
- One secondary ID with a signature (e.g. credit card)
We'll then give you a sealed envelope containing your foreign cash, and we recommend you check the contents carefully before you leave the Australia Post retail outlet outlet.
1 Collection at the same Australia Post retail outlet. Outside metropolitan areas may take longer.