May 2013 Consumer Survey Mail Findings31 May 2013
Each quarter, 1,000 Australians are surveyed online regarding their attitudes towards mail, including what mail they receive, what they open and read, and their preferred channels for receiving various messages.
- The average Australian recalls receiving 7.0 pieces of mail addressed to them in one week.
- The average Australian recalls receiving 9.4 pieces of unaddressed mail in the same period.
- On average, 82 per cent read their mail on the day it is delivered, spending 3.00 minutes reading mail.
- Almost 8 out of 10 young people read their mail, with high reading rates for communication from government, fashion stores, real estate companies and local service providers.
- Existing customers' preference to receive their communication via both mail and email has increased across all categories.