United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, the United Nations General Assembly adopted 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The SDGs provide a common set of goals to put the world on a sustainable path to 2030 and address its massive economic, social and environmental challenges.
Governments, businesses and people everywhere have a part to play in achieving these goals, and we're excited to play a domestic leadership role in advancing them.
How these goals align with our business
Achievement of these goals directly aligns with our enterprise purpose, which is: To deliver a better future for our people, customers and communities. Everyone, Everywhere, Everyday.
As one of Australia's largest companies - in terms of both the number of people we employ and our presence on roads and in communities nationwide - we're well placed to help advance the SDGs locally, through:
- the investments we make
- the solutions we develop
- the business practices we adopt.
The goals we've prioritised
All 17 goals are interconnected but some of them more closely align with our business.
We've prioritised six SDGs in terms of the current and potential impact that our business operations have on them. We'll continue to reassess these priorities on an ongoing basis.
The six goals we're focusing on are:
- Goal 5 Gender Equality - Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Goal 8 Decent Work and Economic Growth - Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Goal 9 Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure - Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialisation and foster innovation
- Goal 11 Sustainable Cities and Communities - Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Goal 12 Responsible Consumption and Production - Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Goal 13 Climate Action - Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts