Fast facts about Australia Post
Did you know Australia Post is Australia's largest retail network? Or that it delivers 20 million items to 11 million addresses across Australia every day?
This page has plenty of interesting fast facts about Australia Post. And while you might be used to us as part of your every day life, there's more to us than meets the eye. In fact, there's a lot that might surprise you about us.
General facts Click to expand Click to collapse
Australia Post is a Government Business Enterprise. The Commonwealth of Australia is our sole shareholder.
We are a progressive, commercially run business dedicated to providing accessible, reliable and affordable postal services to all Australians.
We are a fully self-funding business, earning a profit year on year. We return a large share of this profit to the Commonwealth Government. We receive no taxpayer funding.
Australia Post works closely with other international postal administrations through the Universal Postal Union and the Kahala Posts Group to ensure reliable and efficient delivery of international mail.
Our business structure Click to expand Click to collapse
We began a transformation of the Australia Post business structure on 1 July 2010 to better align our services with the needs of our customers. The business units listed below form part of our Future Ready business renewal program:
- Managing Director & CEO - Ahmed Fahour
- Communication Management Services: Executive General Manager - Tracey Fellows
- Retail Services: Executive General Manager - Christine Corbett
- Parcel & Express Services: Executive General Manager - Richard Umbers
- Post Operations Network: Executive General Manager - Steve Ousley
- Corporate Affairs & People: Executive General Manager - Chris Blake
- Finance & Business Services: Executive General Manager - Ewen Stafford
Our financial results for 2011/12 Click to expand Click to collapse
- Total revenue - $5.1 billion
- Profit before tax - $366.7 million
- Profit after income tax - $281.2 million
- Dividend to Australian Government - $213.7 million
- Costs of Community Service Obligations - $165.2 million
Our people Click to expand Click to collapse
- Australia Post employs more than 33,000 employees and around 10,000 licensees, franchisees and mail contractors
- Our people represent 134 different nationalities
- Our people speak more than 65 different languages
- 1.7% of our workforce is made up of 593 Indigenous Australians
- 7.3% of our workforce has a disability
- Women make up 33.2% of our executive workforce
Letters and associated services Click to expand Click to collapse
- We deliver 93.1 million items every week
- We deliver to 11 million delivery points
- We deliver mail five days a week to 98.8% of delivery points
- We deliver mail two days a week to 99.9% of delivery points
- We maintain approximately 15,995 street posting boxes
- 95.6% of domestic letters were delivered on time or early
- The basic postage rate is 60 cents
Agency services and retail merchandise Click to expand Click to collapse
- We have Australia's largest retail network with 4,428 retail outlets (including 2,560 in rural and remote areas). We have 2,934 Licensed Post Offices (LPOs), which make up two thirds of our retail network
- Each year we perform 4.5 million identity services transactions and process 1.5 million passport transactions in our retail outlets
- We are an agent for more than 750 businesses and government entities, including over 700 financial institutions.
- We have opened 30 superstores across the country. Here customers can access online shopping zones, 24/7 areas with self-service terminals, 24/7 parcel lockers, and dedicated travel zones.
Parcels and logistics Click to expand Click to collapse
- 99.1% of Express Post items were delivered on time or early in 2011/12.
- Online sales in Australia for the year to April 2012 were valued at $11.1 billion-growing by 15% over the past 12 months
- We're investing $2 billion in Australia Post's infrastructure, products and services in support of the digital economy
- We are currently rolling out 24/7 Parcel Lockers across the country, with 250 locations to receive 24/7 Parcel Lockers over the next two years
- By 2014, 80 per cent of Australians in metropolitan areas will be within 10 minutes' drive of an after-hours parcel collection location
- Our 24/7 Parcel Lockers were listed by BRW magazine as the "freshest business idea" for 2012.
Community Click to expand Click to collapse
- During 2011/12 we raised $513,580 for the Workplace Giving program through staff donations and the Australia Post's 'dollar for dollar' matching program.
- Our aim is to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions by 25 per cent by 2020 (this target is based on year 2000 emission levels). In 2011/12 we reduced our carbon emissions by a further 5 per cent
- We invested $4.4 million in community programs that promote the arts, the environment, education, rural and regional Australia and health and sport in 2011/12.
Our subsidiaries and joint ventures Click to expand Click to collapse
• Star Track Express provides time-critical business-to-business transport
• Sai Cheng Logistics International is a joint venture with China Post to provide supply chain management and logistics services between China, Australia and the rest of the world
• Post Logistics Hong Kong provides a freight forwarding service
• Decipha offer mailroom and document workflow services
• SecurePay online payment gateway is trusted by over 20,000 businesses to accept and manage their payments from cards and bank accounts.
For further information about Australia Post, please call our Customer Contact Centre on 13 13 18.
For media enquiries only, please contact the Australia Post National Media Line on 03 9106 6666.
Locate an outlet
Find your nearest Australia Post retail outlet.
Media enquiries only:
Contact the Australia Post National Media Line on 03 9106 6666.
Please call our Customer Contact Centre on
13 13 18.
Get an estimate on postage costs for your item.Calculate now