Driver Sorter (van)
Employed throughout our retail networks in regional areas, Van drivers are generally responsible for the collection, transportation and delivery of mail, parcels and other items by motor vehicle; to, between or from mail/parcel processing facilities, Australia Post retail outlets, postal delivery facilities and customer premises.
You work in a high performing environment where you will provide an accurate and efficient mail and parcel collection, transportation and delivery service to our retail outlets.
Delivering great service to our customers is vital at Australia Post. You'll be proud of the contribution you make to enhance our reputation and will enjoy providing our customers with retail solutions that make a difference.
These duties are generally performed on a full time or part time basis and the hours of duty can vary between the hours of 6.30am and 6.00pm.
All permanent full time and part time positions at Australia Post are subject to a three month probationary period during which time you will be required to meet specific performance standards.
What are the responsibilities of Driver Sorters
- Driving vans safely and efficiently to pick up and deliver mail articles between operational centres and from customer premises when required.
- Unloading mail articles from vans and sorting into either small or large letters, small and large parcels and express post, or interstate and overseas mail.
- Operating loading/unloading equipment such as conveyors, loading and lifting devices and forklift trucks to load and unload mail articles from trucks and vans where required.
- Completion of relevant documentation associated with pick up and delivery of mail articles.
- Sound knowledge of current state or territory road rules and regulations and awareness of relevant road networks with the ability to interpret a street directory and aptitude to learn and recall geographical locations.
- Possession of sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work efficiently, demonstrate high work standards and consistently meet deadlines.
- Organisational skills and decision making ability for dealing with sudden changes to schedules to achieve service standards and priorities.
- Flexibility and genuine desire to work with and help fellow team members.
- Proven professional and courteous attitude. As a visible Australia Post representative, Van Drivers must display courtesy whilst driving and in all contact with customers and members of the public.
- Demonstrated commitment to the provision of quality customer service.
- Appropriate knowledge and awareness of Occupational Health and Safety relevant to the position.
- Drivers must be capable of handling Australia Post vehicles to our standards.
Attention to detail and an approachable personality are also important. We'll provide the training to get you up to speed - you provide the enthusiasm and attitude
What are the general requirements?
- Must be able to lift up to 16kg of mail on a repetitive basis.
- Be able to stand for the duration of your shift.
- Be flexible for additional hours, changing shift times and changing locations
- Van drivers should hold a current Drivers Licence (for relevant state or territory).
- Be customer focused and be able to work collaboratively with your team to deliver solutions.
- Be fast and efficient.
What is the workplace like?
- Our outlets vary from traditional post offices to large full service stores.
- Our Retail network consists of 4,400-plus outlets and is the largest retail network in Australia
- With our solid reputation and trusted brand, our retail outlets are at the heart of every community and we are a trusted provider of business and government services.
- Australia Post continues to serve up to one million customers every day.
- We are focussed on delivering a market leading customer experience.
Please note: If you are selected for driver assessment at the Australia Post Transport Training Centre, you will need to bring the following at the time of your assessment:
- The original of your Driving Record obtainable from any Transport Department office - ensure the printout is no more than 10 days old at the time of your assessment at the Training Centre.
- Suitable footwear (i.e. fully enclosed shoes or boots for driver assessment).