Customer service charter
At Australia Post we are committed to providing trusted, relevant and reliable services that connect all Australians.
We aim to help communities work better for everyone by connecting people and business, and this remains constant as the needs of our customers continue to change.
Our Customer Service Charter outlines our commitments to you in terms of:
- our products, services and network
- how we protect your privacy and personal information
- our Community Service Obligations
- how we handle your feedback, compliments and complaints
- your right to compensation.
Our Post Offices and digital services Click to expand Click to collapse
We are committed to:
- providing postal and communication services through physical and digital channels, including our extensive Post Office network and digital platforms such as MyPost Digital Mailbox
- providing easy to use, innovative products
- offering personal service from knowledgeable staff
- extending access to our services, building greater choice and convenience.
Our delivery network Click to expand Click to collapse
We are committed to:
- providing delivery to street, roadside, counter mail delivery, locked bag, private bag and Post Office box addresses
- providing the delivery of mail as part of the cost of postage, except where customers choose to receive mail via a locked bag, private bag or Post Office box address and incur an annual fee for these services
- making the basic letter service available to all Australians on an equitable basis
- delivering to individual properties where possible, taking into consideration availability of local transport, delivery costs, accessibility and customer preference
- providing access to collect mail from the nearest Post Office or from a reduced-rate Post Office box where delivery of mail to a property is not provided (including large parcels or items requiring a signature in rural areas serviced by roadside delivery)
- consulting directly with affected local communities when we establish a new delivery service, or propose changes to an existing one.
Your privacy and personal information Click to expand Click to collapse
- Protecting your privacy when handling your personal information is fundamental to the way we serve you.
- You have the right to access some information contained in documents from some Commonwealth agencies, including Australia Post. See Freedom of Information for more information.
Our Community Service Obligations Click to expand Click to collapse
As a Government Business Enterprise incorporated under the Australian Postal Corporation Act 1989 (The Act), we are required to meet certain legal and statutory obligations called Community Service Obligations (CSOs) when providing our mail services.
The CSOs are set out in Section 27 of The Act and require that:
- Australia Post must provide a letter service for both domestic and international letter traffic
- the service be available at a single uniform rate within Australia for standard letters
- the service be reasonably accessible to all Australians wherever they reside
- the performance standards for the service reasonably meet the social, industrial and commercial needs of the community.
Regulations made under Section 28C of The Act detail the particular Performance Standards Australia Post is required to meet. Performance against these standards is independently audited and publically available in the Community Service Obligations section of our Annual Report.
Your feedback, compliments or complaints Click to expand Click to collapse
Your right to compensation Click to expand Click to collapse
Australia Post is not liable for any loss or damage for ordinary mail. For other mail services you may be entitled to compensation for lost or damaged items depending on the service used and the circumstances of your claim.
Please see compensation for full details of when compensation may be payable and how to apply.
All claims are considered in line with our Terms and Conditions.
We support the communities in which we operate with programs that focus on education, sustainability, charitable giving and social inclusion.Learn about our community partnerships